Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Memoirs of my Asus 1000H part 1

This is just a copy paste of all the posts I made on an online “blogging contest” I participated. I just wanted to add it here since I don’t want to lose it, and this is also a recollection of my memories with my beloved netbook (which also happens to be my very first laptop). Oh and yeah, I’m currently using Windows Live Writer.

 

Jul 20, 2009

I’ve always wanted to create a blog post about my ASUS 1000h for the longest time. I wanted to share to the world my first hand experiences with my ASUS 1000h and now after a few months later, I’m finally given a chance to write my laptop’s (or netbook rather) story here on this blog.

As you’ve read in the title, yes, this is my very first laptop. An ASUS 1000h.

I’ve always wanted to have a laptop of my own ever since I was in college, but I never really had much money back then to buy one myself. After finishing my studies and graduated in college, I started to look for work. And at that time, I’ve dreamed of owning a laptop once more. To make the long story short, it took me 3 years to finally own one, and after much research into laptops, I’ve finally decided to pick an ASUS 1000h.

Unlike most people who just buy laptops just for the heck of it, I’m really quite picky when it comes to buying one. Because of my rugged lifestyle, I needed a laptop that’s:

  • Not that heavy or bulky. Imagine bringing a laptop that’s as heavy as a brick everyday to work, definitely not good.
  • Has good battery life. I’m not content with a battery life of just 2 hours tops. I need atleast 3-4 hours battery life just incase of emergencies.
  • Very durable construction. Like I said, I have a very rugged lifestyle, and I need a tough and durable laptop that I can bring on commutes without fear or its parts getting busted while I’m on the road.
  • Great screen that has alot of room and is decently sized.
  • Keyboard that’s not small. I do type alot, so I need a comfortable keyboard.
  • A decently powered laptop that can run most of my applications without any fuss.

Ultimately my 3 candidates were: MSI Wind, Acer Aspire One, and ASUS 1000h.

MSI Wind was great. Has good battery life, and its definitely not heavy at all. It’s almost the same specs of ASUS 1000h and its cheaper than 1000h at around 16K. Problem is I fear its body and the hinge aren’t upto par. I mean the mere fact that the hinge wobbles as I tested it makes me fear that it may not last that long considering my rugged lifestyle.

Acer Aspire One was definitely something I reconsidered buying. Great keyboard and great price ar around 15k. Problem was, the monitor, the battery life, and the durability are very questionable. I used to love Acer laptops (since my GF has one and its been great so far) but the Acer Aspire One was definitely not great in my opinion. Underpowered, lesser HD capacity, battery life that’s under 2 hours and flimsy body. Yeah its cheaper, but I’m looking for a laptop that’s gonna serve me in the long run.

And last but not that least; the ASUS 1000h.

Yeah I know this may sound like I’m praising it too much, but seriously, this baby is one helluva machine. Packed with a processor that’s bumped to 1.8GHz, a roomy 160GB HD, keyboard that’s very comfortable to type in (except for the right shift key which can take time to get used to), and screen size that’s quite decent. Add in the battery life that’s more than impressive. At maxed out settings (LCD, processor bumped up, WiFi turned on) I still get an impressive 5 hours out of it. Only downside I believe would be the fact that among the 3 its the heaviest, but comparing it to other bigger laptops sized at around 14″, this one is definitely lighter. I can just get it on my backpack and go on commutes without worrying since its study enough to withstand punishment. After I’ve considered all these things in mind, I opted to buy this baby.

Thus on April 14, 2009, I became a proud owner of an ASUS 1000h.

No comments:

Post a Comment