Saturday, August 28, 2010

Cosplay + N97 mini camera/video test

Hey everybody!! As promised, I will be doing an extensive test of the Nokia N97 mini for daily use, as I have been contemplating recently which phone to get. Considering that the N97 mini is quite expensive here, it does have alot to live up to.

I started off the day by taking testing the N97 camera, as I was intrigued by the quality of the shots produced by the phone. And I must say, it didn’t disappoint. Take note, I haven’t done anything with the settings yet, as I’m just using the default settings. But regardless, these are relatively great shots, compared to most 5 Megapixel camera phones out there. Here are some shots taken with the N97 mini:

  • Front Facing Camera (VGA):

front cam

  • Back Camera (5 megapixel):

28082010041

  • Low Light (with Flash):

lo light flash

  • Low Light (without Flash):

lo light no flash

  • Under Artificial Light / Indoor shots:

artificial light 2 artificial light 3 artificial light

  • Under Natural Light / Outside shots:

outside 2 outside 3 outside

  • Zoom 50%:

zoom 50

  • Zoom 100%:

zoom 100

After messing around with the camera, I went out. I was supposed to be handling a meeting of some sort with my group, but apparently everyone was pretty much busy so I canceled the meeting and went to a local mall instead. I was inside SM Megamall (which is like the go-to place here in the Philippines on a weekend by most people) and as I was on my way home, I came across this place inside the mall where a cosplay event is going to take place.

Intrigued, I went in and found myself in a pretty good spot that’s quite near the stage. As the event begins, I suddenly realized that I haven’t exactly done a video test with the Nokia N97 mini yet!! This is a perfect opportunity for me to combine both my love for cosplay and gadgets!! Man I’m such a geek… :-D So I decided to start using the N97 mini and take videos of the event. And here’s some of the footage I got:

Overall, the cosplay event was pretty okay. I love the efforts with War Machine, Optimus Prime, as well as the highly detailed and gorgeous design of Spawn Orient/Mandarin. As for the other contestants? Meh. I wasn’t able to finish the event, but I was glad that atleast my favorite Spawn Orient/Mandarin won a spot there. I wasn’t around to find out who won 1st and 2nd, as I was really tired and hungry.

If you are wondering about the fuzziness in the video, that’s because I had to zoom in real close just to get the shot right, so this one is definitely alright with me. What I do like about the quality is that the sound cancellation was great, and that the colors are vibrant. Sure its not exactly HD quality, but for a 5 megapixel video camera? This is simply gorgeous. I also love the fact that there are no skips in the video itself. Unlike my previous fone; the Nokia 5130 XpressMusic, this one records videos smoothly with no skipping or choppiness. I love it alot!! XD

The one thing I hate though, was that the battery life didn’t last long for me to cover the whole event. As I was about to cover the last cosplay finalist, my Nokia N97 mini died out on me. I guess its pretty understandable, considering I’ve been doing some heavy usage with the unit (FM Radio, MP3 player, camera, Internet browsing, downloading apps via ovi store, calls, etc) but I do wished the fone had a better battery pack. It would have been great if it worked for 1 day straight of heavy usage.

Anyway, that’s it for now. Will be adding more of my experiences with the N97 mini next few days. Man I’m beginning to get worried that I may get too attached to the fone… T___T

No comments:

Post a Comment